tirsdag, juli 19, 2011

First taste of the TT

It’s a Friday afternoon and I have done my commute back and forth to work. I didn't go too fast, let the legs spinning around. Why?

I've decided to join the Friday TT. I turn up at the meeting point, nervous anxious. Am I going to make a fool of myself, are they friendly? Will I run out of energy?

I am greeting by a guy I recognise as Hank. Luckily I recognise him from the Facebook page. It's a big friendly smiling hello. Are you new? Great that you showed up. Welcome to the club. Big handshake.

I relax; the shoulders come down feeling welcomed. Kevin, the guy I recognise from the club website as the founder, bestows upon me two nick names, the man in black and the milk tray man.

Now the man in black, that one I understand, seeing that apart from my red helmet and shoes, I am riding a bike and wearing a shirt short combination that a mortician would be proud of. But not being from the UK I have no idea who the milk tray man is? Have I just been insulted? I smile and laugh...best defence really.

Not knowing the route of the TT and not being able to do a conversion of kilometres and hour speed into miles, I'm too nervous; I get paired with an older gentleman. He too is very friendly.

We set off. I ride behind him, enjoying being out of the wind and following the pace quite nicely. After the initial 10 km we hit a road that I ride every day to work. I feel confident. I know where I am going. And in a moment of beginner’s cockiness I first ask the older gentleman if it is ok that I ride on ahead of him. He smiles and I set off, charging forward.

I hit the first hill, I'm into it, breathing is heavy but I am enjoying that speed.

I'm so focused that I get a shock when that dump thumping noise comes up again. One of the other EVO rides flies by, flat disc wheel and everything. I mutter cheater to myself, and try to keep up. He dumps me in the next km. I hit a hill that at this moment feels like the Galibier. Ok not really, but I can feel I haven't dosed my ride right and I am running out of energy. I see a slower rider ahead and aim for her. I pass her just as we hit the crest. But it feels like my left lunge is coming out. I take a sip of the bottle and nearly choke on the water. Rooky mistake I think and laugh at myself.

But hey that was the last real hill. The rest is downhill in towards Windsor. My speed picks up and I go faster and faster. It’s like flying. I hit the 55 km an hour coming down the hill and start getting nervous, but push on, enjoying the momentum from the hill.

I almost fall off my bike when another biker comes by me, thumping sound again. We hit Windsor and I try to hang on to him. He is just too fast. But hey there is the finish line.

I stop, sweat pouring down and catch my breath. A short time after the old gentleman that I started off with comes in. He asks for my time. I tell him. He then looks at me and says;"Naaahhh don't worry If I hadn't kept you up in the beginning you would have gone faster". I am not sure, but the endorphins are almost making my head spin.

This is definitely not my last TT.


Oh yeah...milk tray man...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4DMe25CvQ&feature=related....not too bad ehhh....

Ingen kommentarer: